Friday, February 21, 2014

A Peek Into Our Home {guest bedroom}

It's been a long while since I've done a "Peek Into Our Home" post, but I'll be trying to get a couple up in the next few weeks along one or two simple tutorials.

So today let's peek into our guest bedroom that happens to also be the room of a long-standing "guest". My sweet sister, Hannah has lived with us for a couple years now. She will most likely be moving out at the end of the summer which will be tearful for all of us. Knowing this and also upon her request, I took over the decorating of this room.

My policy when redo-ing a bedroom is to keep the bedspread/comforter I've chosen in mind but NOT to decorate around it. The problem in getting so caught up "matching" the room to one piece is that when you've grown out that bed covering, you are forced to redo a whole room. Trust me, I've done hideous things like an time-intensive, striped lilac painted room designed around one silly comforter. When I changed my mind, I was stuck with those purple stripes until I convinced my husband to give up a weekend to help me paint the whole thing over. INSTEAD I've started designing a room I love with neutral pieces. You'll see that in this room where I chose grey and cream as the base color- a hundred different bed coverings would look gorgeous with this design.

 photo after1of26_zps19fd491d.jpg

This dresser was a $5 steal at a yard sale. I'm terrible about remembering to take "before" photos, but picture a dumpy old wooden dresser. I painted the main part of the dresser with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in the Old White. Then the drawers were done in the French Linen color. The contrasting colors make this more of stand-out piece. I simply painted the original wooden drawer pulls in the French Linen, but decided on chrome pulls for the top drawer for some extra interest.
 photo after3_zps3ad4e1e8.jpg

 photo after4of26_zps6f39d300.jpg

Psssst...secret. This glass bottle was an iced tea bottle that I rescued from the recycling bin and filled with some fat twine I had on hand. The bark vase and the above chalk board both come from an addicting little website full of inexpensive items called Save On Crafts.
 photo after5of26_zps6ee539ed.jpg

The push-pin board was a score from Home Goods. It was just plain cork inside; but when I'm not hanging books on the wall, I'm pulling them apart. I took pages torn out of a book from a garage sale and used some adhesive to cover the board.
 photo after1_zps17726734.jpg

My sister helped me by painting the wooden bed frame we've owned forever in the Old White I mentioned before (with Annie Sloan wax to protect it). It made the piece so dreamy and beauty, but she probably wanted to shoot me after having to do each of those rails.
 photo after9of26_zps98b3c51b.jpg

This little nightstand was actually once a side piece of an antique vanity. I'm smitten with it.
 photo after2_zpscc6cb5d8.jpg

After painting it in the French Linen, I used a dry brush with the tiniest bit of Old White on it to brush over the wood design so that it would stand out more. Aren't the details devine!?
 photo after12of26_zps4058a41c.jpg

I already blogged about how to make this little DIY pallet art. You can find that HERE.
 photo after8of26_zpsb6c4f846.jpg

A little space turned little haven. As always, feel free to post your room redo's in the comments since who doesn't love to peek into someone's space!

Happy Friday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, share your thoughts!