Friday, July 6, 2012

My Latest Craving {dates}

While most of you have probably been enjoying the beauty of the dates for awhile now, they're a more recent addition to my cupboard. I'm suppressing my urge to make a corny joke about the date fruit, and avoiding dating fruitcakes, and if you just followed this run-on sentence we should hang out in person sometime. But I sorely digress. 


Where was I?

Ahhh, yes, the deliciousness of dates. I've seen dates referred to as a superfood because of the little fruits are power-packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and even some much needed energy-boosters. Because of the sweetness, I'm not a huge fan of eating dates plain, but I've found them to be a yummy source of natural sweetener. I've used them in making sugar-free chocolate smoothies, but my favorite recipe to use these in is a quick, easy German Chocolate Fudge Ball recipe. I've whipped these up more than once when I had a hankering for a sweet treat.

You can take this...
Photobucket
(dates, pecans, unsweetened coconut, and ground raw cacao)

add a few other simple ingredients and turn it into this...
Photobucket

These deceptive fudge bites are one of my helpers in making "dessert time" simply a continuation of healthy eating. There's no sugar, dairy, or flour which helps in keeping all the allergy-laden people in my life happy.

You can find the recipe for them HERE. It's a blog chalk full of delicious healthy desserts; so be ready to get lost in chocolately-goodness recipes while you're there.

And Costco (of course!) has an excellent price for dates.

Now, I want to hear from any of you on your favorite way to eat this superfood fruit...

1 comment:

  1. As you posted, my favorite is the chocolate milkshakes! We also like them plain or chopped up small to add to our soaked nut trail mix! Mmmmm Yummy!!!!
    www.greenandgrateful.com

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, share your thoughts!