Thursday, May 30, 2013

Together Through Pain

The dilemma hit me while grocery shopping recently. Now that I shop alone, I have the luxury of spending the time deep in thought. Something sent me to remembering my pregnancies and the months and months spent debilitated, writhing in pain from the stomach spasms, wishing the 9 month puke-fest would end. I remembered sweet friends who were there for me and well-meaning individuals whose words felt more like salt than band aids.  Then my mind went to my girlfriends who had recently faced far worse situations. I thought about how often I felt I was groping in the dark as I sought to be a true friend in the midst of their pain.

I dawned on me how much we need to hear from the ones who have actually walked through the valley. They’re the experts.  We need to equip ourselves with how best to “weep with those who weep”.

This is why I’m doing this blog series.

I’ve asked some women who have walked through significant trials to share to school us in how to be a good friend to the hurting. Of course, everyone’s situation is not the exact same. But I think you’ll find what they have to say extremely helpful and a great starting point for coming alongside someone in your life who is walking through a similar situation. I know while pre-reading their posts, I have been learning and realizing how things I’ve said or done in the past may not have been as comforting as I thought it was.

Next week, we’ll kick things off with a phenomenal guest post by a woman who lives with chronic pain. Then we will move on with one post a week in this series hearing from women who have experienced childhood trauma, infertility, miscarriage, death of a loved one, and more. These women will share what was and more importantly was not helpful during these times.  We'll call it "Together Through Pain".

Be on the lookout for the first post on Tuesday!

 photo ttp_zps7ddc9e3e.jpg


2 comments:

  1. Great idea!! I always love to hear from ladies who have walked a road before me or are walking a road that I've never walked. It brings me comfort and also allows me to learn how to comfort those in different seasons of life.

    I cannot convey how many times those with "normal fertility" have said things to me to "help" that just tore me to shreds, but in the same vein I have learned that things I have said to those with "abundant fertility" have cut to the core as well when *I* didn't intend any hurt, so I think it's great you are going to allow us to learn from various women in various struggles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for this series. i think this will be incredibly eye-opening and healing and helpful. wonderful idea, alyssa!!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, share your thoughts!